Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Musical Youth : One Step Further

Bardo - One Step Further



This was Britain's Eurovision Song Contest entry for 1982 - the year after Bucks Fizz, who had won with "Making Your Mind Up", probably helped by the girls' skirts being whipped off during the performance.

I don't think I'd heard this in over 25 years. Before jogging my memory with You Tube, only three things came to mind.

First, the picture on the sleeve was in very soft focus.

Second, the song comes to a juddering halt with them singing "One step ... one step!".

Finally, the chorus of Tight Fit's "Fantasy Island" (also from 1982) wah-ooh wa-oohs and all.

"One Step Further" sounds nothing like it.

It's not terrible. In fact, having listened to it several times while writing this entry, I can see why I liked it.

It's much better than Jemini and the other dross that the UK have forlornly sent to the continent. It reached number 2 in the charts.

The only disturbing thing is the lyrics.

It's the story of a shy, hopeless, lovelorn, tongue-tied stalker - with hints at underlying S&M tendencies...

I could have taken one step further and I would have been there
You could have turned around and hit me and I wouldn't have cared
All this time I didn't get anywhere

I was five at the time. How was I to know?

No comments: